How to tell if a laptop has wi-fi

notech 22:07 14 Jul 06

Hi, my friend just bought a laptop and has ordered broadband. But how do i find out if it's wi-fi enabled or not? On my own laptop i've got to press the f2 key to turn it on, but my freind's one does not seem to have this option. Any advice guys?

Diodorus Siculus 22:10 14 Jul 06

Do you know the model?

If so, post it here and someone will tell you.

If not, try looking at the specification sheet / user manual (such as they are these days...).

If it says "centrino" it will have wi-fi...

notech 22:20 14 Jul 06

There's no 'manual' with it...
The model is an Advent 7095 series, and yeah i thought it should have centrino like my own one does (p.bell easy note) but it doesent so am i to assume that he needs to buy a wireless card for it?
It's only 2 or 3 months old and i thought most new pc's were wi-fi enabled...

Diodorus Siculus 22:26 14 Jul 06

Doesn't seem to have it from the PCW site:

click here if the link works...

Diodorus Siculus 22:27 14 Jul 06

Currys - Shop for Laptops - ADVENT 7095 INTEL CELERON M 370 PROCESSOR 1.5GHz LAPTOP
"Wireless Enabled YES Allows you to connect to an existing wireless network such as in a office or a wireless hot spot"
click here

And this says "wireless enabled"...

Can you take a look at the machine?

If it has a symbol like an antenna on it, it will be probably is wi-fi enabled...

notech 22:36 14 Jul 06

Yea i've had a look at it today and was looking for a key that usualy turns wi-fi on and off or even a light that shows if it's on or not (on mine i've to press 'fn' and 'f2' to turn on/off) but was unable to find any of them... And according to that currys link it's got wi-fi. So i'm confused now...

Diodorus Siculus 22:39 14 Jul 06

Sorry :-( I'm lost...

notech 22:40 14 Jul 06

I've just noticed that on the cpw site it says that it's 'usb wi-fi enabled' so take it that means it needs an adapter...

notech 23:10 14 Jul 06

Thanks for ya help Diodorus Siculus. . . .
He does need a usb wi-fi adapter for it. . . .
Cheers...

ade.h 23:19 14 Jul 06

Tell him to use it without any 3rd-party software then. Forewarned is forearmed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

New iOS 11 release date rumours UK | new features coming to Siri, FaceTime, Messages and Video