how to submit to search engines

whatsupdoc 13:15 09 Mar 04

after building a small site for a friends car cleaning business how do i go about submitting the site to search engines. obviously he only wants to interest people within 20 miles of his base. Ive seen some programs and sites that purport to submit for you. i've sorted out the meta tags and stuff but haven't got a clue how to get on the sites and pref on the first page

regards nick

Aspman 16:28 09 Mar 04

There is often a small link on the search engine frontpage allowing you to submit your site. It will often involve wading though attempts to get you to pay lots of money to get listed but there is usually a free listing in there somewhere.

It's still a bit of a black art and it's hard to get anywhere without paying lots.

Do a google search for your local towns you might find a local portal site that will list you for free. I've had some of my best listings through these.

Google will find you within a couple of weeks anyway, make sure you have the name of the company any what they do in the first sentence of text on the index page and in the meta-tags.

still, as Aspman says, so some local groundwork. to be honest if I wanted my car cleaned I'd look in the yellow pages.

whatsupdoc 17:36 09 Mar 04

for an easy ride.. no such luck. the local business pages on-line is a brilliant idea. the local chamber of commerce, local paper and such have sites I've just found. they look as if they're free. ill have a better look when the boss isn't looking over me. thanks for your help. ill leave subject open for a few hours to see if anyone else has such good ideas

regards nick

Forum Editor 18:16 09 Mar 04

it's the best way to attract customers to a local business.

PurplePenny 20:54 09 Mar 04

As horiz5 says - remember local phone directories (though those cost money). For local companies I always start with Yellow Pages or Thompsons then check out the web sites.

PP

whatsupdoc 00:15 10 Mar 04

I've registered with several local directories and got a price from the yellow pages (ouch).
thanks for all your help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…