How to stop Serif being default image viewer

gordy70 16:24 22 Apr 04

Hi
I recently installed Serif Photoplus 7 onto my PC (Win XP)and now all my images open in Serif and in the properties for each file they are no longer JPEG's but Photoplus Files.
Other than removing Photoplus which i am quite happy with as an image editor is there a way to go back to the Windows default view when opening an image file?

Stuartli 16:59 22 Apr 04

I don't use Serif but there must be a Preferences or Options tab somewhere to set what you require.

The Help files should indicate what to do - that's why Help files are provided...:-)

VoG II 17:04 22 Apr 04

Use Windows Explorer to locate a JPEG file and right click it (Shift + Right click if not Windows XP). Select Open With and choose a program from the list presented or click the Browse button to find the program you want. Tick the box that says the equivalent of "Always use this program to open this type of file" and click OK.

Taff36 17:04 22 Apr 04

To associate a file name extension with a file type
Open Folder Options in Control Panel.
Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
Double-click Folder Options.
On the File Types tab, click New.
Type a new or existing file name extension, and then click Advanced.
In Associated File Type,
Type or select New to create a file type to associate with the file name extension.
-or-

Type or select a different file type to associate with the extension.
Notes

When you type a file extension in the Create New Extension dialog box, the Associated File Type list displays the file type that is associated with that extension. To select New, scroll to the top of the list.
For information about how to make modifications to the file type, click Related Topics.
To change the program that opens a file, on the File Types tab, under Registered file types, click the file type, and then click Change.

gordy70 17:13 22 Apr 04

If only life was that simple, i have spent a considerable lenghth of time trawling the help files with no joy.
I was hoping that there might be a setting within Windows for this.

gordy70 17:18 22 Apr 04

Thanks guys, I now have my sanity back!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…