How to stop MS Outlook auto connecting

otubby1 22:50 28 May 03

I'm trying to build an address book in Outlook, and when I open it, the first thing it does is TRY to connect.

I don't want this; I just want to use it for the addresses.

I thought that I could stop the auto connect via e-mail accounts, but the XP version seems to be different to the 2000 version.

Can anybody put me right please?

DieSse 23:40 28 May 03

There are two possible reasons

1) - You have it set to check for mails when you start the program - Go to Tools - Options - Mail Delivery - and untick the "Check mail on startup"

2) - Your inbox has a mail that is the one selected for preview, and it has contents that are loaded from a web site, so it's trying to dial up to display them. Select another email header.

fitshase 00:08 29 May 03

Further to DieSse's reasons, there is a third reason.

Have you got a web-based e-mail account set up in Outlook (e.g., hotmail)? I have got a hotmail account set up and when I load Outlook it synchronises the files/folders. I am on Broadband so it doesn't affect me but it will try and dial up using a non-broadband connection.

Regards

Fitshase

otubby1 00:12 29 May 03

I've looked until I'm blue in the face for anything that relates to connecting at startup and there is nothing.

As I said, the damned programme tries to connect, but can't?? And I get a script error dialogue box asking me if I want to carry on anyway. I end up having to cancel the connection anyway.

I don't know which version you are using but I can't find 'Mail Delivery' anywhere. All kinds of other mail processes but not that one.

Anything else you think it might be?

otubby1 00:14 29 May 03

Yeah, there is a hotmail account in there. I think it came from Outlook Express. Do you think this may be the cause??

otubby1 00:17 29 May 03

I've just been back to it and deleted all the e-mail accounts, well all two of them, but I am still getting the script error when it opens.

otubby1 00:23 29 May 03

I've got to go to my pit, but if you can think of anything it would be appreciated, and I'll catch up later in the day.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…