How to stop applications installing on C:\

m800afc 17:24 29 Jul 10

I am about to do a clean re-install of XP Pro.
Most programs that I will have to re-install give me the option to install to a drive of my choice. There are some programs that automatically install to C:\. How can I force a program to install to a drive of my choice.
I would like to reserve C;\ for nothing other than my OS. My other programs would be on drive d;|

cocteau48 17:39 29 Jul 10

I'm no expert but I would have thought that if a program does not give you the choice to browse and install onto a different drive and will only allow installation on to the drive which carries your OS then it is because that is the only way that the program will successfully install and subsequently work.
It needs to be integrated into your OS in order to function.

tullie 18:44 29 Jul 10

Are you talking about two seperate drives,or C and D partitions of the same drive?

john bunyan 18:49 29 Jul 10

Have look here:

click here

woodchip 22:05 29 Jul 10

All the ones I have seen give Custom Install, read with care when running setup. not just keep click next or ok

m800afc 22:18 29 Jul 10

tullie
I am intending that D:\ is on its own unpartitioned physical drive, unless I am advised that C:\ and D\ are partitions of the same physical drive.

John Bunyan
Thanks very much for the link. Using the information in the link I have found the following registry key.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Sesion Manager\SFC\ProgramFilesDir
The default is C:\Program files.
If, after a clean install, I changed the default to D:\Program files, would all installations be put on D:\ ?
Would there be any consequences of doing this? Would the operating system on C:\ still function normally with the default drive being D:\, or would I have to reset it to C:\ after each installation?

woodchip 22:26 29 Jul 10

When you load Programs to another drive, they still work just as if on C:\. When loading, some files and all registry Entries go on C:\ no matter what Partition you put them on. But the Bulk of files goes to the Partition you choose to put them on.

m800afc 22:40 29 Jul 10

woodchip
Thanks for the advice. My OS is going on physical drive0, C:\
My data is going on physical drive1,D:\

Thanks all for you advice

Batch 09:55 30 Jul 10

I'm not convinced of the benefits of placing programs and OS on separate drive partitions. This is because the install of programs is bound up with the Windows registry and some installs also place files in the Windows folder and in Documents and Settings folder.

So, for example, I can't see any benefits in creating independent back-up images of separate OS and Programs partitions as they would need to be restored in sync anyhow.

It is a different matter with your own data and keeping that separate does have benefits.

woodchip 10:02 30 Jul 10

That's why its only a Image of the Drive Partition with the OS on it. As this is the one that stops PC booting. A Image of the whole Drive is also a good Idea as it can be put direct onto a new drive in case the Drive folds. Putting Programs on a other Partition does make sence as it the leaves the OS partition info quicker to backup as its smaller less info on the Partition so Quicker to Image it

Batch 16:04 30 Jul 10

I have to disagree.

Unless there is something I'm missing, for the reasons I've stated it is not a good idea to restore the OS without the programs (which would need to be from an image created at the same time as the OS image) and so any benefit of a quicker image creation time (for OS only) is surely immaterial as one would need to image the programs partition at the same time.

Much simpler to have a single OS and programs image.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced