HOW TO START UP A NEW COMPUTER FROM SCRATCH.

rufino 13:54 05 May 04

THE NEW COMPUTER IS IN AN ATX CASE/AND MOTHERBOARD BUT NO OPERATING SYSTEM. MY CURRENT COMPUTER IS A DELL PENTIUM 2 WITH 64MBYTE RAM.
THIS COMPUTER HAS 2 USB1 PORTS
1. I HAVE THE WINDOWS 98 PROGRAM DISK AND THE FLOPPY BOOT-UP DISK
2.I EXPECT ISHOULD BE ABLE TO LOAD THE OPERATING SYSTEM USING THE BOOT DISK AND WINDOWS CDROM 98
3.MY PROBLEM IS THAT I HAVE PROGRAMS ON MY DESKTOP WHICH I HAD DOWNLOADED AND WHICH I WOULD LIKE TO TRANSFER TO THE NEW ONE.
4.I HAVE A ABOUT 50 BOOKMARKS IN MY FAVOURITES FOLDER WHICH I WOULD LIKE TO TRANSFER
5.I WOULD LIKE TO TRANSFER MY OUTLOOK EXPRESS ADDRESS BOOK TOO.
I WILL BE GRATEFUL FOR ADVICE. MAY BE PCADVISOR HAS A DOWNLOADABLE SITE !
THANKS.

xania 16:08 05 May 04

Please don't type in block capitals - this is considered to be the equivalent of shouting. Once you have installed Windows on your new PC, you should be able to copy the downloaded program install files from your old PC either via a writable CD or similar, or by networking the PCs with a cross-over cable. So far as your favourites are conerned, you need to find the folder on your old computer where these are stored and simply copy them across to your new PC in the same way (typically this will be a folder called <Favorites> - note the American spelling). However, you may find it easier, especially if you also want to copy your e-mail address book, to use an appropriate utility, which will also help you back-up this information for future OS re-installations. click here.

Note that there is a downloads page in the user area - final bullet on the top left.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…