How to start a disabl Window Defender Service?

Sabi 22:56 31 Dec 06

Hi

I don't know what happened but when I switched on my computer,there was a message on the desktop saying:

WINDOW DEFENDER
APPLICATION FAILED TO INITIALIZE 0X800166BA..
A PROBLEM CAUSED WINDOW DEFENDER SERVICE TO STOP. TO START THE SERVICE RESTART YOUR COMPUTER OR SEARCH HELP AND SUPPORT ON HOW TO START A SERVICE MANUALLY

I couldn't find anything under help for that! I checked the Control Panel but couldn't see Window Defender there either. I then checked the "Service (local)" which did not have anything under "status" for Window defender! whatever that means!!

Do you know how I can solve this problem?

Many thanks

Sabi
PS: I use window XP, ZAISS and Ad-Aware

Spark6 23:41 31 Dec 06

I have the same message and have ignored it!

Kev.Ifty 23:46 31 Dec 06

The Beta version runs out today 31 Dec.

Download the new one...

Kev.Ifty 23:49 31 Dec 06
  Spark6 10:17 01 Jan 07

New Defender installed this morning. Thank you K.I.

Taff™ 10:45 01 Jan 07

Downloading the latest version is the only way as kevIfty says.

Sabi 11:34 01 Jan 07

Thank you all and Happy New Year :)

The Window defender updater has been stitting in system tray (PC not the laptop!!) for weeks!!! and I have ignored it!!
The reason being; is when I click on the icon, it takes me to the site where I don't know which one to download????
And why this new download is not given in my laptop but it is in my PC?? I use the same software in both!!

Sabi

Taff™ 12:43 01 Jan 07

Windows Update settings are different perhaps? One will be set to download & Install automatically and the other to notify but not download.

Trikie 20:45 01 Jan 07

I've downloaded the latest x64 version of Defender, but when installing it get the message "Installation package not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor"

Belarc says my processor is a 1.67 gigaherz Athlon XP. System is XP Home with SP2.

Is this processor now considered to be steam driven? Can it be replaced on its own or will it involve changing other components?

Taff™ 01:07 03 Jan 07

Perhaps the subject of a new thread but I can`t see any reason why Windows Defender shouldn`t run on a 64 bit system. Try downloading again and re-installing.

Sabi 18:37 03 Jan 07

Hi Everyone;

Thanks for helping.

I am OK now :-) I uninstalled the old version of WD and download the new one with doubt!!! (was confused with validation!!!)
Anyway WD downloaded and is working well now :-)

The only thing is; I can't see it's icon in System Tray! I created the shortcut for it on my desktop but didn't know how to do the same for System Tray!!!
Any ideas?

Many thanks

Sabi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…