How to speed up desktop icons in XP?

CurlyWhirly 23:41 19 Nov 04

I have loads of RAM (1.5 Gb after today upgrading) and I was wondering if there is some way of speeding up the XP desktop icons as when I first boot-up Windows or insert a CD-R or DVD-RW with icons on, it seems to take a long time for them to be displayed as the proper icons i.e. they first of all show up as data icons and gradually one by one are displayed properly.

Is there some way of altering the register or some menu where I can store these icon images like in a cache?
Any advice would be most welcome.

CurlyWhirly 23:46 19 Nov 04

What I mean is the data icons show up the same as the temporary files in WINDOWS > PREFETCH directory and they are called PF files.

kev.Ifty 23:54 19 Nov 04

CCleaner may help 'speed up' your Boot up.. click here

But i would have thought it better to let your PC stabilise and your icons appear in there own time. After all you can't 'click' an icon until your PC is ready to open that program.

Interesting question though.

Kev

CurlyWhirly 23:57 19 Nov 04

Thanks. I will try your link. The reason why I asked is that my desktop is nearly full and has 49 desktop icons so it does take a while to display properly!

GroupFC 00:06 20 Nov 04

Do you really need that many! I have about 25 and I thought that was too many! You can of course delete the icons (which are only shortcuts to the relevant program). The programs will still be there and can run from start>all programs etc.

CurlyWhirly 00:10 20 Nov 04

Yes good idea I never thought of that!
It is just being lazy having that many icons on the desktop as it saves having to go into START > PROGRAMS!

Salinger 00:12 20 Nov 04

Why not keep your most used icons and shove the others into a Folder which you can keep on your DeskTop?

CurlyWhirly 00:12 20 Nov 04

I have deleted the unnecessary ones but I still have over 30 - never mind!

CurlyWhirly 00:14 20 Nov 04

Excellent idea. Lucky I read your post before I deleted them from the Recycle Bin!
I will open up a new folder and put my less used icons in there! Thanks.

The Spires 00:16 20 Nov 04

You may need to increase the size of your icon cache have a click here click here

kev.Ifty 00:18 20 Nov 04

I have 95 icons. several are shortcuts to web pages so i just click the Desk top icon and the relevant page is displayed.

Others are shortcuts to documents, which makes them quick to access, some regularly used Progs and the rest.... well! you never know when you'll need quick access to the Packard Bell InfoCentre....

Ok! I'll delete a few ;-)

Kev.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…