How to "Shadow" a bios?

ACOLYTE 10:12 28 Nov 05

I have just run Sisoft sandra and it say's my bios can be shadowed,and to check whether it is?.I have looked but cant find anything mentioning shadowing.What does shadow a bios do anyway?

MAJ 10:20 28 Nov 05

It copies the contents of ROM to RAM, supposedly making things faster click here You can check in the BIOS to see if it is enabled.

ACOLYTE 10:29 28 Nov 05

Nice description of shadowing i dont claim to understand it all though,lol,i have looked in the bios and can't find any reference to shadowing at all,its not even mentioned in the manual but sandra seens to think it can be shadowed,it just doesnt tell me how to do it.
I am not really sure if i should do it,im after opinions as to if its worth doing or not,that is if i can find out how.

Chegs ®™ 10:41 28 Nov 05

If I was you,I'd leave well alone.

"This write-protection is important to remember, because if you enable shadowing of memory addresses that are being used for RAM, the device using it will cease to function when the RAM can no longer be written to (it is locked out by the shadowing). " Means your system is likely to chuck up a BSOD,or just lock up.

Also "This can in theory cause problems with some operating systems, though I have never personally encountered this." MS have recently changed the reactivation requirements,I spent a little while(several hours)recovering my install from image after tweaking my system and was annoyed to find that simply altering the multiplier from 12.5 to 13 caused XP to request reactivation.

If you make changes in the BIOS then its likely you'll be asked to reactivate,which although its a painless operation,is annoying.

ACOLYTE 11:09 28 Nov 05

Sounds like good advice,think i shal leave alone i cant find the dam thing anyway lol.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…