how to setup an FTP

©®@$? 10:47 09 Jan 04

any clues guys

i have windows xp

i would like to be able to have an ftp address so people can view my files etc

how can this be achieved thanks!

Chegs ® 10:52 09 Jan 04

I asked my ISP,they explained howto setup transfer of files to my webspace.Also have a look here click here

©®@$? 11:49 09 Jan 04

cheers

am i being naive or can it be done in a way that someone can connect to my computer, basically have my computer as the server and poeple can log into my ftp/computer,i would prefer that i'm sure it can be done, but as you can tell i have never done this before

©®@$? 11:54 09 Jan 04

i think i am being naive, so it has to be done via webspace?

i thought it might be possible for people to connect to my computer, instead of me having to upload to webspace

like create a restircted area on my computer,create an address to it and login password, give my dad his login details and he can connect to my computer?>

Chegs ® 11:56 09 Jan 04

It can be done,but I read somewhere in PCA its not easy.Running a server isn't recommended,

a)its not easy

b)opening up your system to all and sundry is very risky.

Terrahawk 11:59 09 Jan 04

to set your pc up as an ftp server you would need a server program such as bulletproof ftp server a static ip or a domain. (would be a pain having to tell every body your new ip addy each time you connect)click here ftp server prog.click here usefull if you dont have a static ip you will also need to be aware of any band width restrictions from your isp.And finaly some of these may help click here

Terrahawk 12:05 09 Jan 04

ftp is more secure than p2p yet millions of people risk it every day.Yes their are risks but these can be minimised basic things like give users strong passwords dont allow anonymous log on

©®@$? 12:19 09 Jan 04

i'll look into it thanks!

©®@$? 18:57 09 Jan 04

i've just been playing around with this bulletproof, i have set an account up from my freind to log into the ftp, i have allocated a username and password login

now how does my friend login, do i give him my ip address, as i have this setup, and then when he puts my ip in the browser will it bring up a login box, is it that simple or am i missing something

i take it you just have USB/PCI modem...

If you have a router you need to use DMZ to enable traffic forwarding...

Otherwise, you mate will get nowhere!

©®@$? 19:24 09 Jan 04

its ok yes i have a usb modem, and its working fine,the way i said above

thanks anyway

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…