how to set up wireless connection for a novice

jinky stevens 17:33 16 Feb 08

Howdy,

Apologies if this is a bit of a daft question but i'm new to this so....

Just got virgin broadband installed, thought i would try to go wireless and bought a belkin wireless cable router.

installed router software etc and everything is great when router attached to laptop via ethernet cable to make sure it worked but at a complete loss at what to do next to get this to go wireless. I tried disconnecting the ethernet cable from laptop and router but then can't see the router on wi-fi. I'm using vista if any use.

All ideas appreciated.

Zaphod 3 17:40 16 Feb 08

Have you turned wireless on? Normally a sliding switch on the front of the laptop, and/or a combination of keyboard strokes.

What is the make and model of laptop and someone should be able to help?

jinky stevens 17:45 16 Feb 08

toshiba p200-1ir
wireless is enabled, can view other wireless connections but not mine

Zaphod 3 18:02 16 Feb 08

Hav you turned broadcast SSID on?

From routers home page; Wireless/channel and SSID. Place a tick in the box by broadcast SSID. If you haven't changed anything a belikn should show up as Belkin54.

jinky stevens 19:31 16 Feb 08

i went in there all was ok, changed the channel from 11 to 1 on a whim and everything seems to be working the way it should be. Hope this will not have any adverse effect on anything?

thanks for the help you gave me, its much appreciated

Strawballs 00:47 19 Feb 08

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…