How to Set UP a Wireles Network!

acsmanhtml12 07:48 01 Jun 06

I have just picked up a leaflet from PCWorld about setting up wireless networks. It states conect the modem router with a Cat 5 cable to a nearby computer. It does then go on to say connect to the wireless router from the wireless enabled PC well my question is this, The laptop (the wireless one) is the one with the broadband connection. Can I just connect to it with wires one time (to set IP addresses and security) and then wireless the rest of the time and still keep the same settings for that network on my laptop and then connect it to my desktop at the end of the process or do I have to have them both wired when I set up the network.
Also how do you run the setup within Norton Internet Security?

dms05 08:11 01 Jun 06

You need to connect once with a cable to set up the WiFi Router (from your laptop) then afterwards you can connect with WiFi and not have any cable connection to the WiFi Router.

acsmanhtml12 09:45 01 Jun 06

Thanks a lot dms05

ade.h 15:21 01 Jun 06

Clarification: you will need to keep the RJ45 handy for making any changes that affect the wireless link - WPA key, SSID, and many others, even the internet settings - otherwise you will break the wireless link. If you break the wireless link while working in the config UI over that link, you will lock up the router and be unable to access it without (at least) a hard reset. Believe me, you only try it once....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…