How to set up a printer network

Luca M 21:06 21 Sep 03

I am an absoloute beginner on networks. I have set up the 2 computers on the network and both are fully working on the internet and file sharing side of things. Untill the printer networking. I just cant figure it out. I have tried to link computer number 1 with Epson Stylus C80 to Computer 2 with HP Deskjet 930C. I want both computers to share both printers. Can anyone tell me how to do this. Both computers are running Win XP Home.

mark500 21:39 21 Sep 03
  Luca M 21:49 21 Sep 03

thanks mark500 but this dosent seem to work. i did what it said. thanks anyway

mark500 21:58 21 Sep 03

Try this way.

To share your printer
Open Printers and Faxes.
Right-click the printer you want to share, and then click Sharing.
The options you see on the Sharing tab differ depending on whether sharing is enabled on your computer. For instructions on what to do next, click the option that describes what you see on the Sharing tab.
I see text stating that printer sharing must be turned on

You need to enable printer sharing by running the Network Setup Wizard. Start it by clicking the link on the Sharing tab, and then follow the instructions. Once sharing is enabled, begin this procedure again.
I see options for sharing or not sharing the printer

On the Sharing tab, click Share this printer and then type a share name for the shared printer.
If you share the printer with users on different hardware or different operating systems, click Additional Drivers. Click the environment and operating system for the other computers, and then click OK to install the additional drivers.
Drivers for users running other versions of Windows (Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows NT 4.0) are located on the Support CD. Printer drivers for Windows NT 3.1 and Windows NT 3.5 are not included.

Click OK, or, if you have installed additional drivers, click Close.

To open Printers and Faxes, click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Printers and Faxes.
You can also share a printer in Printers and Faxes by clicking the printer you want to share, and then clicking Share this printer under Tasks on the left side of the window. This option is available only if folders are set to look like a Web page and a printer is selected. For more information, click Related Topics.
Printers are not shared by default when you install them on Windows XP Home Edition, but you can choose to share any printer you install on your computer.
When you publish a printer in Active Directory, other users logged onto the Windows domain will be able to search for the printer based on its location and features such as how many pages it prints per minute and whether color printing is supported.

Luca M 22:17 21 Sep 03

I have tryed this also and it dosent work. It keeps asking me for the other printer location on the network? The computer gives me an example like this but you have to fill it in with the real locations: E.G:http//server/printers/myprinter/.printer. I need to find out where to find the other printers location is.

Luca M 16:32 22 Sep 03

still no luck. my computer cannot detect the other printer connected on the other computer even thought sharing is enabled on both computers. ??????

alcudia 16:43 22 Sep 03

Have you tried installing each printer on the other computer as a network printer.

It may work. Click add printer and choose network printer or printer attached to another computer. Select Connect to this printer etc and then click on next at the bottom to browse. If the printers can be seen on the network they should be available. Click the one you want to install.

DieSse 16:53 22 Sep 03

As above, I just thought I'd make sure the overall plan was clear, rather than repeating the individual "how-tos"

First you have to enable printer sharing on each system.

Then you have to set the actual printers as shared.

Then you have to install the printers as network printers on the system they aren't attached to.

Restarts after each phase may help if they're not forced.

Luca M 20:04 22 Sep 03

thanks every one. Ive cracked it!!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…