How to set mobo to 8x AGP??? - Gigabyte 7NNXP

GibsonSt19 17:29 09 Nov 03

Hiya, just wondering if anyone could help. I've just had to reinstall Windows XP Pro due to some naughty virus activity which screwed my PC up completely to the point where I couldn't boot past the 'Verifying DMI Pool Data...' message on startup, and even the Win XP Pro CD install would freeze just after pressing F6 to specify RAID drivers.

I've managed to get everything back up to speed, with thanks to the dual BIOS technology on the motherboard. I have an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro vid card, and usually under the SmartGart settings in 'Display' the card is set to 8xAGP. I can't however get the darn thing to do that now. It stays at 4xAGP even though I can slide the slider across and click apply and restart the computer. I have the latest VIA Chipset drivers and the latest Catalyst Drivers for the GFX card. Any ideas lovely people how I can get my machine to operate at 8x AGP?

Ta

hugh-265156 17:46 09 Nov 03

try an older driver version 3.7 for instance.

some peeps have had problems with cat. 3.8 and 3.9 and smartgart being a bit overprotective.

using older drivers fixes this im told.

Rayuk 17:50 09 Nov 03

I am using the 9700Pro with cat 3.9 and it is showing as 8X so dont think that is the problem.

hugh-265156 17:51 09 Nov 03

ps.you can also remove smartgart if you want click here

hugh-265156 17:54 09 Nov 03

Rayuk,this was with a 9800pro card.was reading a few days after 3.9 came out.

will try and remember where i read it and post link.

Rayuk 18:28 09 Nov 03

Reading a thread
click here
installed latest nforce drivers 3.13 and cured the problem.

Only thing is at the moment people are also having problems with these drivers,so would possibly go with huggyg71 s advise and go back to cat 3.7

Rayuk 18:30 09 Nov 03

Just in case I wasnt very clear there,the nforce drivers are for your motherboard chipset.

Problem seems to be with the eide drivers

woodchip 18:33 09 Nov 03

It sound like the Virus as got into the BIOS and it is using the other half, I would have been inclined to update the BIOS it should be easy with dual bios. As that is where the AGP settings should be for the motherboard drivers will not make any difference if the slot is only working at 4

GibsonSt19 22:40 09 Nov 03

I had 2x 512mb pc3200 DIMMS, however I can only use one. When I put the other in, my PC just beeps at me on startup. I have 4 slots for RAM, and the board is enabled with Dual chanel technology, but don't know how to activate this and to make both strips of RAM work together. I heard that I should put on in slot one, then one in slot 3. I've tried that though and my machine does the bleepy thing and won't boot.

Any ideas?

DieSse 22:47 09 Nov 03

The motherboard manual tells you where to put the RAM for dual-channel use.

Perhaps one of the RAM modules is faulty?

Rayuk 17:16 10 Nov 03

Are the 2 sticks of ram the same [manufacturer]
NForce 2 boards can be a bit picky with ram.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…