how to set up master/slave for 2 DVD-Roms

the lone ranger 13:15 05 Aug 04

After installing a new DVD drive last week, I decided to put my old one back (as there was nowt wrong with it)as a secondary DVD drive. I assumed it was just a case of installing and connecting up to the slave connection on the flat ribbon (not sure of the name but it may be IDE connector) that goes to the MoBo. I`m certain all is connected properly.
Problem is.....my XP Home edition only recognises the slave and not both, or at least the master as I would have assumed.
It is not recognised in devive manager either, master, that is. Only the DVD rom I installed today.
Any help appreciated guys.

joelle1230 13:22 05 Aug 04

as long as one is set to slave and one to master on the same ribon there should be no problem

the lone ranger 13:26 05 Aug 04

Is there anything I need to do to `set up` the master and slave.

Octoz 13:34 05 Aug 04

On the back of the DVD Rom you should have a 8-10 pin connection block with a plastic widget (jumper) covering two of the pins. Somewhere on the case of the DVD Rom it should tell you which two pins need to be covered in order that the devices can be set to Master-Slave or CSEL (cable select) If you have a DVD writer, set this to master and your player to slave.

the lone ranger 14:03 05 Aug 04

thanks guys.
Fixed now. Amazing how something so simple can give so much hassle.

Andy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…