how to set up a home wireless network

whitecroft0 18:47 07 Feb 06

i would like to set up a home wireless network,at the moment i have a H.P.pavilion 9715 P.C. about 3 to 4 years old running on xp and connected with broadband through wanadoo this P.C. has no network card.I am going to buy a Dell laptop and would like to know how to create the network in laymans terms and what parts etc i would need to buy. I know i may sound thick but i'm pretty new to this so keep it simple
Cheers

keewaa 18:54 07 Feb 06

Kit needed
NIC ethernet card for PC eg netgear FA311 @£9
ADSL wireless broadband router eg Netgear DG834G @£65

Use ethernet cable (comes with DG834G) to connect to PC and the Dell laptop will come with inbuilt wi-fi.

whitecroft0 19:00 07 Feb 06

NIC ethernet card is this a pci card?is it easy to install and will it all be compatable with my p.c and broadband provider

keewaa 19:09 07 Feb 06

Yes to all

whitecroft0 19:14 07 Feb 06

Keewaa
Thanks for your help as you can tell i'm new to this (and forums).will i still need my broadband modem provided by Wanadoo?and exactly how does everything connect up? regarding the pci card someone told me that i might need a "half card" pci card as a full would not fit in my p.c what does this mean and are they easy to fit?
Thanks again

keewaa 19:31 07 Feb 06

No ... you can put the wanadoo modem in a drawer
Connection v easy ... download a manual from click here if you want to read all about installing
Half card if there is not full space above the PCI slot ... open up your PC case and look.

whitecroft0 19:37 07 Feb 06

sorry to ask but how will i know if there is enough space for a full pci card?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…