How to send broadband wirelessly

marabou 18:30 29 Aug 07

I have orange broadband, but, it is not wireless. My telephone socket is one room, but, my PC is in another. Is there any way to send the broadband signal from the one room to the other without the use of a long wire of any kind? Thanks!

Stuartli 18:54 29 Aug 07

I suspect you are going to have to do the same as me i.e. run an ADSL data cable under the carpet from the phone socket to the system.

I use a 10 metre cable (five metres was just a shade too short)...:-(

woodchip 19:01 29 Aug 07

You need a Wireless Modm Router. click here

marabou 19:14 29 Aug 07

Thanks Stuartli, that's what i do at the moment. I was just wondering whether there is another way. I don't have a wireless enabled PC, so how would i use wireless?

woodchip 19:22 29 Aug 07

You can go two ways if it's a Desktop. Along with one of the Modems from above link, you can ether buy a Wireless PCI card if you have a Free PCI slot in the Motherboard or Buy a USB Wireless Adapter.

setecio 19:28 29 Aug 07

I'd advise you to try an tack the cable in to hide it away - it will save you £s and give you a better connection than wireless.

norman47 19:47 29 Aug 07

You will need a wireless ADSL modem router and either a PCI wireless card or a USB wireless dongle for the computer.

You can get them in bundles like this click here

You connect the router to the phone line and place the usb device in the computer. The computer then picks up the radio waves off the router to connect to the internet.

marabou 14:08 30 Aug 07

Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…