How to sell my custom gaming computer?

gizmozombie 00:04 17 Feb 14

I have built a gaming computer and have decided to sell it for a laptop, I am having trouble selling it even with advertising it at a price lower than I paid. So I was wondering whether it would pay me to take the computer apart and sell the parts separately. I have been trying to sell the computer for about a month now. Here is a list of the parts: CIT Sentinel case

AMD FX-6300 6 Core CPU clocked at 3.5GHz

1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile RAM

Gigabyte R9 270X 4GB GPU

ASUS m5A78L-M/USB3

500 W Corsair CXM Fully Modular Power Supply (will come with UK plug)

Philips CD/re writer

1x Front Red LED 120mm Fan

Thanks in advance

Ian in Northampton 08:31 17 Feb 14

Have you tried eBay? The important thing is to be realistic about what you expect on price. That's a nice spec machine, but being secondhand/private sale, it won't come with a warranty etc. I spend too much time looking at gaming machines on eBay, and I'd expect yours to fetch about £350 - £400. How close is that to the price you're asking? I don't think you'll do better selling off the parts. For example, probably the most valuable thing you have there is the graphics card - on eBay, there's one here that looks as if it will go for £130 or so. (It has less memory than yours, though.)

mart7 13:38 17 Feb 14

Agree £250 probably

spuds 14:41 17 Feb 14

Selling a computer either as an whole or in bits is like trying to sell an old car. There is either a market for it or there isn't, and the likes of eBay prices is a good indicator for this.

Over the years I have made quite a number of purchases via eBay, from a brand new computer, to whole complete second hand systems. Most second hand have been bargains, because I purchased from local people who were able to demonstrate before bidding or purchase. The brand new computer was advertised, but on arrival was not what was expected due to the seller's confusing selling method, so I accepted my own fault on that purchase.

Where have you tried advertising, because this could be the problem if you are trying in one location or method only?.

bumpkin 16:25 17 Feb 14

I would put it on ebay in a 7day auction with a starting bid of £200 with £5 bid increments. Clearly state the specs and how old it is, also find out the postage costs and ebay fees.

Ian in Northampton 09:41 18 Feb 14

Lazarus: interesting that the eBay one didn't sell. IMHO, it was hugely overpriced.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced