How to see my Firefox/Thunderbird version without downloading?

polymath 17:47 01 Dec 14

I've always clicked Help - About to see which version I have, but recently I haven't been able to do that without the program instantly starting a download of a later version (if any). Anyone know how to find out without triggering these downloads?

lotvic 18:06 01 Dec 14

Have a look at the setting you have in Tools > Options > Update tab. Mine is set for 'Never check for updates' and I am able to do the Tools > Help > About, without problem.

lotvic 18:11 01 Dec 14

Update tab is under the 'Advanced' tab FF and Thunderbird.

I'm thinking I ought to change mine to 'Check for updates but let me choose whether to install'

Batch 19:22 01 Dec 14

Bit of a pain, I know, but for tbird go to:

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\ and right click thunderbird.exe, select Properties and go to the Details tab.

I guess similar works for Firefox.

polymath 21:46 01 Dec 14

Thank you both! I've now set both of them to 'check but let me choose whether to install' (again!). I chose that from the start I think, and I'm sure my settings used to survive updates. I guess Mozilla has got more nannyish (I like to decide when to do downloads of any size, as they can make everything else grind to a halt if it's a slow connection/busy time.

I can't test the setting yet (as everything's up-to-date!), but I'm sure it's done the trick.

lotvic 23:06 01 Dec 14

I've changed my settings to same :) as you say, time will tell...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…