How secure is a wireless network

Rich_77 14:26 15 Jan 04

I'm about to move into a new flat and want to set up a wireless network (with a wireless -modem/router/access point) As I'm in a block of flats I am a bit worried about people getting into my network (to access my files) and also using up my bandwidth...I've never used wireless before so dont know how to prevent this....I've heard that you can assign permitted computers to the network...does this lock out everyone else trying to use it or do I need some 3rd party software....I've got Norton firewall too...

PS I was thinking about getting a netgear wireless modem/router etc ----are they any good?

Any help would be appreciated...

Thanks

Richard

LeadingMNMs 14:31 15 Jan 04

You could use WEP that is a form of encryption. There are other things you can do but these get a bit more omplicated. There was a posting about this but I can't find it at the moment.

LeadingMNMs 14:32 15 Jan 04

You could use WEP that is a form of encryption. There are other things you can do but these get a bit more omplicated. There was a posting about this but I can't find it at the moment.

LeadingMNMs 14:32 15 Jan 04

Al94 14:32 15 Jan 04

If you haven't purchased yet, consider Netgear. The web based interface makes it very easy to set it up so that only specific computers idendified by MAC number and name can access wirelessly. Anyone else is then automatically denied access. These are known as "Trusted Computers" Others may be similar but I was particularly impressed by ease of set up, configuring other devices and reliability to date. I have a DG824M wireless modem router but the new 54G model would probably be a better bet.

Al94 14:33 15 Jan 04

Avoid WEP. It will slow down your connection and is not necessary for a home network if set up as above.

Al94 14:36 15 Jan 04

I got my kit here click here very helful and next day delivery. Prices are competetive.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:57 15 Jan 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…