how to save system resources??

thetrickster 10:35 17 Apr 06

could somebody offer some help with regards to saving system resources. i obviously dont want to disable my firewall and AV.

thx

Belatucadrus 10:45 17 Apr 06

Hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete to bring up the task manager and go to the Processes tab, this will give you a list of what's running at the moment, the Mem Usage column will tell you how much RAM it's using and the CPU column how it's loading the processor. The only real draw back is that the Image name showing the process ID isn't that informative and may require a little digging around from you to properly identify what it is. You could shut down individual processes by highlighting them then clicking on the end process button or opening the individual application and checking out its properties, many will start on boot and this not be necessary. Or add another stick of RAM so that it becomes less of an issue.

Belatucadrus 10:49 17 Apr 06

"and this not be necessary"
Spellchecks no good with syntax errors, must engage brain.
Try "This may not be necessary."

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:01 17 Apr 06

a) Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
MSoftAntispy Beta click here
Ewido click here

Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) Clean the registry -- Free Registry cleaners :-
RegscrubXP click here
Regseeker click here
TweakNow RegCleaner 1.3.2 click here
Easycleaner click here ( Use with care, It advises you to back up the registry first, this is a good idea as it cleans rather aggressively. )

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

e) Cut down on the programs that load at startup -- Start - Run type msconfig - startup tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

and the services that run in the background. click here

thetrickster 18:17 18 Apr 06

thx alot Belatucadrus and fruit bat, greta help.

thetrickster 18:17 18 Apr 06

great :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…