How To Save Battery Life On My Notebook

mark mcc 18:42 07 May 06

Can anyone tell me or give me a link for software that can save battery life on my laptop computer its a P4HTT 3.40GHz Hp Pavillion 17" Brightview screen and ATI X600 Graphics card.

I currently only get 1.30 Hrs and it would be nice to get at least 2.30 HRS

Skills 18:49 07 May 06

You need to do things like enable the power mangament from the control panel, have it so that it powers downs things like the hard drive after it has been idle for so long switches off the monitor etc. Use the DVD drive as little as possible.

mark mcc 18:50 07 May 06

Thanks i have done that iss it possiable to extend the life of a P4HT Computer

Totally-braindead 18:51 07 May 06

Theres no software that can do this. You can switch it off if you're not using it, turn down the brightness in the screen, not use the hard drive etc to conserve power, go into the Windows power options and get it to shut down the screen and stop the hard drive etc when not in use that sort of thing. But if you are actually using it you cannot make the battery last any longer. The only possability I can think of is perhaps trying to get a larger capacity battery if such a thing exists for your PC.

mark mcc 18:55 07 May 06

Belatucadrus 19:18 07 May 06
  palinka 19:28 07 May 06

I understand from info that came with my laptop (an Acer) that it extends life to let it run down completely before re-charging, and that if you use it often on mains supply it's best to remove the battery then, otherwise the charge is trickling in all the time. I charge mine fully, then remove battery and use mains (because i usually use it at home within reach of a mains socket.

martjc 19:41 07 May 06

...then disable all battery saving options. Let the battery run down completely. Ignore any warnings. Wait until it switches itself off, then restart it from the switch and let it die again.

Do this at least twice - if this fails, sadly your battery has reached a state where it won't give you more time than it does presently.

De Marcus™ 19:52 07 May 06

There may be some savings to be had via the graphics card, my laptop uses the x700 pci graphics chip and has a setting called powerplay. You can reduce the amount of power the card uses whilst on battery power to minimum, and then maximum when on ac mains, I can get an extra 20 minutes like this. On the other hand, your processor is a desktop model so your never going to achieve a 'long' battery life in comparison to mobile cpu's.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…