how to salvage data on ide hdd motherboard failure

my 7 year old pc based on a msi 6382 motherboard has packed up i.e it won't boot and the keyboard is unresponsive (unless i go into the bios). i've tried replacing the cmos battery & re-setting the jumpers but nothing works - it just won't boot. my main issue is how do i retrieve the data on my 2 hdd's? (they are ide) do i buy a new motherboard?, if so which one or is there a way i can connect the hdd's to my laptop, or do i buy a cheap pc and shove the hdd's in? i'm a bit strapped for cash but really want to get to the data in my hdd's. tia

jimv7 21:02 13 Nov 09

Ask a friend to use his puter, connect your drives (1 at a time) in place of the cd/dvd, copy your files to a folder on his drive then burn to cd/dvd, remembering to delete from his puter after.

Or buy an external case and connect to your laptop via usb.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:10 13 Nov 09

What exactly are the no boot symptoms? my be the system drive has failed?

when booting up, i get the message - there has been a system failure ............. etc presss enter to start windows normally but the keyboard doesn't respond when i try to press enter. the pc then goes into a loop, the 30 seconds counts down, the xp logo screen comes up but but then it sguts down , tries to boot up and the same message comes up again. when booting up and pressing del, i can get into the cmos/bios settings etc and the keyboard works, but not when i come out of it & try to press enter. i suspect irt's a mother board failure

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:08 13 Nov 09

Doubt very much it is motherboard.

Type of keyboard?

I think you will need a PS2 keyboard or if thats what you have then enable USB legacy for DOS in the BIOS to be able to use a USB keyboard (not wirless / infrared).

If you have a XP CD then I think you will have to do a repair install (this will keep your data).

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

woodchip 23:19 13 Nov 09

The Easy way would be to buy a USB Hard Drive Caddy to fit the drive in Set the jumper on the drive to Master or it will not work click here

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…