How safe sending 'Switch' details by e-mail?

TommyRed 12:28 24 Sep 04

I've to purchase something in Spain and they'd like me to confirm details by e-mail. Is this safe and what is to stop them removing all the money from that account? TIA TR

JonnyTub 12:30 24 Sep 04

nothing to stop them, be very careful here

Confab 12:32 24 Sep 04

Don't do it. Never send payment details by e-mail.

Valvegrid 12:40 24 Sep 04

Would you send your credit card details on the back of a postcard? Most of the time you'll probably get away with it, but the risk is too great that someone somewhere will take a closer look, and yes, you'll get fleeced.

JonnyTub 12:42 24 Sep 04

is it a personal payment or one to a company? either way i'd think you'd be better off sending a cheque

Valvegrid 12:49 24 Sep 04

Just one other thing, why are you giving your 'Switch' details anyway? This will give direct access to your account. Its much better to use a credit card because you'll have much greater protection if things go 'pearshaped'.

TommyRed 12:53 24 Sep 04

It's a payment to a company who have a website for ordering but I want something that isn't displayed and I'm paying a smaller amount of shipping/delivery by negotiation. I could give the details over the phone, any safer? With them confirming the price by e-mail. TR

TommyRed 12:55 24 Sep 04

It's for my Mother who doesn't have a credit card only Switch. TR

JonnyTub 13:01 24 Sep 04

could you pay with your credit card and get the funds from your mother? or get the company's bank details and pay directly into their account? do a background check on the company (realise this will be difficult being abroad)

Valvegrid 13:10 24 Sep 04

Yes, it could be safer on the phone, alternatively JohnnyTub's way sounds good.

TommyRed 13:12 24 Sep 04

I've just gotten a balance on my credit card and there isn't that much left on it so I can hardly be 'taken to the cleaners' plus its protected against fraud, isn't it? TR

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…