How to run Scandisk......

anon2004 15:47 06 Apr 04

I am a new user and want to find out how to run scandisk? Could you please tell em the right procedures. Thank you in advance.

Gongoozler 15:58 06 Apr 04

What version of Windows?

Kryten 15:59 06 Apr 04

If you are using xp Double click MY Computer on the desktop, right click the drive you want to run scan-disk on and left click properties. Choose the tools tab/ tick the box for error-checking and in the new box tick which you want and click start. You will probably get a message that says something like "you cannot do it now but do you want to run it the next time you boot the PC". When you re-boot the scan-disk will run.

ade.h 16:02 06 Apr 04

You don't say which OS you have, so I'll assume it's Win XP...

Open "My Computer" from the Start menu and right-click the disk you want to check. Click on Properties, then the Tools tab that appears.

Click "Check Now" next to Error Checking and tick both boxes in the next dialogue box that appears.

Restart your PC when prompted and Checkdisk will run once at the next boot-up.

That way, it runs before Windows loads and can do its job thoroughly.

When you next want to run it, repeat the above procedure.

ade.h 16:03 06 Apr 04

Kryten, you've beaten me to it! I guess you type quicker than me...

anon2004 16:04 06 Apr 04

Thanks Kryten, hat worked, and it is now scheduled next time i boot up.

ade.h 16:06 06 Apr 04

If you want speed over thoroughness, and want to stay in Windows, either don't tick the two options or go to Run (from Start menu) and enter chkdsk.exe. That will run it from a DOS-style window and only takes a minute.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…