How to retrieve Google Earth locations

stlucia 08:11 15 Nov 08

I've got a copy of all the files from the C:\ drive on my old PC, and would like to copy over my saved locations from Google Earth to my new PC.

But I can't for the life of me identify a file in C:\program files\Google... that looks anything like a list of user-defined locations. Can anyone tell me which file I need to copy over to get my favourite locations back, please?

bremner 08:13 15 Nov 08

Quick search on Google
click here

bjh 08:18 15 Nov 08

Try File > Save > My Places...

It's there in version 4.3, which is the latest version

stlucia 12:01 15 Nov 08

bjh, my old PC is dead and has gone for recycling, so I can't save my places from my old Google Earth installation. But what I've got is the HDD from the old PC, in a USB enclosure, so I can copy back whichever the relevant files are.

bjh, even after reading the articles you've linked, it's still not clear to me what KML files (if any) I should be copying over from my old system to my new one. In my Program Files > Google > Google Earth > Res folder there's upteen folders containing KML files. One of the folders is my.country, and it contains a single file called startinglocation. I suspect I'm not on the right track there, because most of those .country names seem to reference specific countries.

In my new Google Earth installation I've created one place marker in My Places, but I can't identify any file that's been added or changed.

bjh 12:45 15 Nov 08

OK, the folder on your old hard drive you need is

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Google\GoogleEarth

and you need to copy myplaces.kml.

At least... I think that's right. Obviously it won't be C:\.... as it's in your USB enclosure, it'll be D or E...

Try copying that to the new hard disk.

bjh 12:46 15 Nov 08

Actually, copy that file to the desktop, then import into Google Earth...

File ....Open... find file on desktop....

stlucia 16:24 15 Nov 08

Thanks bjh. I've found the myplaces.kml file on my current PC, where you said it should be. I'll look out the old one on my backup disk later this evening, and copy it over.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…