How to restrict internet access,IE.,Kazaa

Kitz E Kat 12:02 14 Sep 03

Hi, my brother has XP home, with several user accounts for family members..

His daughter is an avid fan of Kazaa, he's not!!

Is there a way to restrict internet access to this site...

I know you can add this to a list of restricted sites, it can be undone pretty quick..

He don't have a problem with what she's doin on the internet, its just the crap she's putting on the computer, its at a slow crawl now..

My suggestion, get a second hand computer, she can do what she likes on that and password protect his.

Any better ideas???
Thanks
Kitz E Kat

Forum Editor 12:19 14 Sep 03

Yes - He could restrict access to Kazaa by telling his daughter to stop downloading.

You don't say how old the daughter is, but "He don't have a problem with what she's doin on the internet" is hardly an attitude that reeks of concern is it? Perhaps if he laid down the law a bit he would avoid having to do anything more complex - or expensive.

soy 12:20 14 Sep 03

Kazza isn't a website, Its a program! I think its possible to choose which programs load in which user accounts, but I don't know it. Hopefully someone here will know. Sorry.

If the daughter is downloading alot of unessessary stuff like games, freeware etc maybe a second hand computer would be a good idea. It would restrict viruses and spyware etc to just that computer only.

VoG II 12:27 14 Sep 03

Use firewall to block access to Port 1214.

Webmaster 12:37 14 Sep 03

Find out what the port is that Kazaa uses and password protect a firewall to block it. I'm sure that will work. :-/

Kitz E Kat 12:38 14 Sep 03

She's 18 years old, does her thing on the computer in the wee hours of the morning, short of locking the computer up , what can you do?

Talk to an 18 year old? That won't work!!!!!

When i say ' he don't have a problem' its not that he dont give a damm, but he knows that children and downloading music go hand in hand, he would prefer if she did not....

That's the problem , can you stop this?

He did 'lay down the law'....did'nt work..

He did try to remove Kazaa, didnt work, i got him a copy of Kazaa be gone, but she will have that up and running in no time...

So what now???
Thanks all, glad i don't have kids!!!!!!!
Yours
Kitz E Kat

-pops- 12:42 14 Sep 03

At her age she ought to be in a position to have her own computer. She could use it just as she wished then.

tbh72 12:43 14 Sep 03

Drastic actions require drastic action. I was left with no alternative to fit a HDD caddy. My computer is now rendered useless in my absense as the HDD goes into the safe?

tbh72 12:44 14 Sep 03

PS - They now listen more carefully to my rules!!

Jester2K II 12:46 14 Sep 03

"but he knows that children and downloading music go hand in hand" - pfffffff!!!!!

Whos computer is it?

If your Brothers then he makes the rules. If he can't impose a restriction on what cane and can't installed and run on his PC then he'll either have to live with Kazaa or ban all access.

I keep a close eye on whats installed on our PC. The minutes something like Kazaa appears it'll be off and a usage ban will be in place. However my step-children (18 and 15) where pre-warned about this before they were allowed access to it.

Plus they only have User rights which makes it difficult for them to install programs like Kazaa anyway.

He should reduce everyone one to User level except himself (leave as Administrator) and password protect both his account and the Administrator account.

leo49 12:47 14 Sep 03

Uninstall the program and make his daughter's access via a Limited Account.

From Windows Help:

Limited account

The limited account is intended for someone who should be prohibited from changing most computer settings and deleting important files. A user with a limited account:

Cannot install software or hardware, but can access programs that have already been installed on the computer.

Can change his or her account picture and can also create, change, or delete his or her password.

Cannot change his or her account name or account type. A user with a computer administrator account must make these kinds of changes.

And when prepare himself for the ensuing tantrums.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…