how to restore windows 7 to factory settings

castiel333 20:20 19 Aug 10

I need to restore my packard bell laptop (running windows 7) to how it was when I first bought it and, although I can see an option to restore to factory settings using the advanced user options, I am woried that this may mean that the operating system is wiped out.

The laptop did not come with a recovery disc and using system restore is not an option because i can only restore back five days.

The laptop is six weeks old.

tullie 20:23 19 Aug 10

Restoring to factory settings will take it back to the state you got it.Why would you want to do this after 6 weeks though?

DieSse 20:24 19 Aug 10

"I am woried that this may mean that the operating system is wiped out."

Normally with "restore to factory settings", EVERYTHING is wiped out, and the software that was on when you bought it will be re-installed.

That would delete all your data, updates, settings, software you installed. In other words it'll be like a new machine just purchased.

DieSse 20:26 19 Aug 10

PS - it's normally better to explain what problem you want to solve - otherwise you might get poor advice - or whole sets of questions!

castiel333 20:28 19 Aug 10

Thank you for your help.

The reason I want to restore it is because my fifteen year old son has been using it and he has messed it up a bit so I wanted to start afresh.

sharpamat 09:58 20 Aug 10

With almost all new computors that come without a system disc. comes the advise to creat a set of recovery disc,s.Most people ignore this advise ( which you clearly have )without these discs in event of a magor failour its the only way to restore the system to factory condition. The only other way to to purchase a set

My advise would be to look at your information and help settings and make a set then ensure they are kept safe as you can only make one set

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…