How To Restore HP Pavilion to Original Condition?

s99Raj 19:10 10 Dec 04

I have an HP Pavilion 423, and I wish to delete everything on the Hard Drive and put it back in the state when I bought it.
I notice it has a partition on which all the original drivers and software are stored but the partition looks empty, or rather, all folders in it are deliberately hidden.
Now, I've lost any original floppy or CD that might have come with the machine. Usually there's a (red) floppy with which I should be able to start the computer up, and from there format the hard disk and load the OS,software and drivers.
Is there any way I can create one of these floppies or is there anywhere on the web I can find a copy? I've tried the hp website but can't see anything obvious. Any ideas please? Cheers.

s99Raj 19:48 10 Dec 04

Any ideas Please?

Graham ® 19:57 10 Dec 04

You can format the hard drive without any floppies or CD. However, you will be unable to re-instal XP without a valid CD. Even with a 'borrowed' CD, you would be unable to validate it on your PC.

s99Raj 20:06 10 Dec 04

It's OK - I've just figured it out. I found a copy of the manual on the hp website and it explains in there to press F10 when the hp logo comes up and it will guide me through the format etc. process.

User-312386 20:06 10 Dec 04

you will need the "lost floppy"

OR

Get a Full copy of XP and load windows on that and download all the drivers etc etc

Diodorus Siculus 20:30 10 Dec 04

s99Raj - hope that works for you; going down the road of formatting / installing can lead to a long and tedious search for the correct drivers for all sorts.

pat2068 21:00 10 Dec 04

i have the hp pavilion 491 i do not need disks to format just start, all programs ,hp tools and then system recovery and it does it all for you ,you only have to load your own software after that leo

Daxsimus 22:41 10 Dec 04

I've got a Hp 472. To format I press F10 before it logs into windows then advance and quick format (system recovery) This wipes everything and leaves it like when you bought it. Hope you sort it. Dax.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…