How to restore the familiar XP shutdown buttons?

MuDelta 23:30 24 Feb 08

Following a serious incident I reinstalled XP successfully except that at shut down instead of getting the three familiar buttons (standby, shutdown, restart) I get a window of with a drop-down menu from which you have to select one of the above and then click on okay. This is much less convenient than the familiar buttons. How can I restore these?

Stuartli 00:23 25 Feb 08

I use XP Pro in Classic Start mode - I think the standard way offers the different Shutdown scenario.

Right click on the Start button>Properties.

Stuartli 00:27 25 Feb 08

Also see Shutdown Issues at:

click here

Stuartli 00:29 25 Feb 08

..and:

click here

MuDelta 17:58 25 Feb 08

Stewartli,

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I don't want to turn off the shutdown etc messages, just to revert to the buttons I know and love. As I read it onecomputerguy's method turns them all off.

I tried the Esato method but it would not work because I have blocked the logon window.

I struggle on!

MDM

VoG II 18:08 25 Feb 08

1) Click on Start
2) Click on Control Panel
3) Double-click on User Accounts
4) Click on "Change the way users log on or off"
5) Tick "Use the Welcome Screen"

Stuartli 19:25 25 Feb 08

I wasn't suggesting you turn off the Shutdown messages, just the fact that, IIRC, the layout is different for the Classic (drop down menu) to the Standard appearance.

MuDelta 15:53 28 Feb 08

Sorted!

The problem was not that "use the welcome screen" was not ticked but that "use faster switching" was ticked. When I unticked it all was light!

Thanks all for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017