How to restore ei system PC to factory settings

MIke 09:52 25 May 09

Hi

I'm trying to help a friend with an ei systems desktop running XP SP2 afraid I don't know model off hand.

She's been using it on the net with outdated antivirus software unknowingly and has picked up lots of nasties. I've installed Avast for her and done a boot time scan it found 50 infections I've removed these.

She also has the rogue program Win Pc Antivrus which I've failed to remove with malwarebytes as malwarebytes won't install on her system. I'm going to try manual removal I've found instructions for that.

The problem is the pc is still running slowly and freezing. I can only do anything useful with it in safe mode.

I've suggested taking the bull by the horns and re-installing the operating system from scratch, however she has no restore discs. There is an option in the program menu to creates restore discs but it doesn't work. Just get no cd files found message.

When I try later today I'm going to see if there is a hidden restore partition using disc management. If there is does anyone know the key sequence on boot to start up the restore?

Failing that I have a full retail version of XP does anyone know if that can be used to repair an OEM version of XP without wiping out the licence details held in the registry?

Sorry about the long post, and tahnks in anticipation

MIke

birdface 10:03 25 May 09

Try running this pay for version.30 day trial but it will remove anything that it finds,If it asks for payment which it should not just ignore it and carry on.

click here

This should run Ok and allow you then to update and run any other security programs that you have.

After the 30 days .Its up to you what you want to do with it.

MIke 10:06 25 May 09

buteman

That's a new one on me I'll give it a go thanks.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:15 25 May 09

To start the recovery, press the F10 key when you first turn on your computer. Tap F10 repeatedly until you see 'Starting System Recovery'.

From there you can choose to do Format or a Non-destructive recovery.

Taff™ 11:50 25 May 09

Had something similar a couple of weeks ago when Malwarebytes wouldn`t load. The virus seem to be able to block every well known program setup but there is one thing you can try. Rename the mbam-setup.exe to something else like Foolyou.exe and see if it will load.

Your Retail Version will work as long as you have the identical version of either Home or Pro to that which is on her computer. You`ll also need the XP License code from her sticker on the machine. Try a repair install as opposed to trying the Recovery Console.

MIke 21:33 25 May 09

Buteman ...thanks for the link I used that to scan her pc and it found quite a few problems, but didn't remove Win PC Antivirus, however after deleting what it had found I was able to install Malwarebytes, which did successfully remove Win PC Antivirus, and found quite a few other nasties too.

I've now scanned her PC with Spybot S&D, Threatfire from a PCAdvisor cover disc, Malwarebytes and Trojan remover. Finally I left it scanning with Avast.

As I found so many issues I still think she'd be better formatting her drive and re-installing.

Incidentally I've now been able to create restore discs. I was trying to do so previously in safe mode, but on checking after I'd managed to get her PC running without freezing in 'normal' mode I was able to prepare a set of restore discs. As these are made from a hidden restore partition I trust they are unlikely to have benn affected by any virus or malware.

Thanks for your suggestions

MIke

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…