How to restore Autoexec.nt ?

Malverns 13:08 26 Nov 04

I recently tried to reload my HP Printer driver in XP Home but was told that

“Windows/system32/autoexec.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose Close to terminate application”.

I didn't have this issue on the first installation.

But checking MS Knowledge it seems the file is required to load 16 bit applications.
and this type of error message is encountered if the file is corrupted or absent. I tried to find this file in the directory shown and it isn’t there neither anywhere else on the PC. MS suggests that it should restored – how would I do this ? Search the XP CD ?

Thanks for any comments.

smudge101 13:29 26 Nov 04

click here

It should do the trick, if not post again and I will walk through it with you but not available till evening

zipdrive 13:51 26 Nov 04

Not sure which operating OS you have?

If you have Windows 2000/Xp,do the following. Rename the existing file to .old (make sure you have not got your system files hidden). Inside the windows folder there should be one called "repair". Within this folder there should be a copy of autoexec.nt. Make a copy of the file and place in the orignal location.

Hopefully after a reboot the problem should be fixed.

Malverns 10:35 28 Nov 04

Many thanks - problem solved and all is now OK

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…