How to replace system file in w2k?

MichelleC 12:14 13 Aug 03

I've got an error message re system root and M$ solution is to 'replace Tcpip.sys from os' or 'remove and reinstall TCP/IP...

as w2k hasn't got sfc which is the best way to replace, or how do you remove and reinstall TCP/IP?

JIM 12:29 13 Aug 03

Follow carefully

click here

temp003 12:32 13 Aug 03

w2k has sfc.

Start, Run, type cmd and press enter.

In the command window, at the C:> prompt, type:

sfc /scannow

and press enter.

Get your w2k CD ready.

Note that ideally you should have sp4 installed first. Then sfc wouldn't replace system files updated by Windows Update with the old CD versions of the files.

beeuuem 12:34 13 Aug 03

These may help
click here

click here

MichelleC 15:15 13 Aug 03

Thanks for replies, guys.

I'd like to replace file as this seems safest.

I did cmd, typed sfc/scannow and inserted os cd, it completed scan then os disc install panel came up with options

Install w2k

Install Add-on components

Browse this cd

but there's no option to manually reinstall a file. I tried renaming Tcpip.sys adding 'old' rebooted, thinking this would force os into replacing but no.

Ben Avery 15:27 13 Aug 03

ensure that you put in the space:

sfc /scannow

Ben Avery 15:28 13 Aug 03

you can shut down the windows install screen or alternatively, when sfc asks for you to insert the CDROM hold the shift key when you put in the disc for a few seconds and this will cancel the autorun on the CD. Then click on retry on sfc.

beeuuem 15:55 13 Aug 03

Can you copy the file from the CD?
click here;en-us;816/7/43

beeuuem 15:57 13 Aug 03

Or even click here

JIM 18:31 13 Aug 03

How did your original error message come about that you were prompted to 'replace Tcpip.sys from os' or 'remove and reinstall TCP/IP...

Can you explain?

MichelleC 09:23 14 Aug 03

Since upping from 98se to w2k I've had probs capturing and printing to dv camcord. I've tried every which way to resolve. Now this error pops up.

sfc is not picking up any corrupt files, so I can't manually change any 1 file (not like the 98 sfc).

When I changed Tcpip.sys by adding 'old' when rebooting (or sfc) it forced os to reinstall the file. But error message still comes.

I'm going to swap firewire card into another pc and try and sort another way.

Another error message pops up saying 'there isn't enough data rate necessary to perform action'. But I've set the 'paging' to 2 x ram at 1000 min and 1800 max, so should be enough.
Thanks anyway all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…