How to replace PSU in Dell Dimension 9150 and will

SANAP 09:39 08 Apr 10

My Dell Dimension 9150 is now powering down after a short spell and amber light is showing at on/off button. Also get smell of burning plastic. I am assuming its the PSU but when I look inside at PSU replacing it looks daunting! I noticed a power lead to motherboard that looks as if it is a push fit but I cant budge it!

Has anyone replaced the PSU if so how?

And what type can I use to repalce it? Want a 650 so will this one work?

ANTEC EW 650
click here*!@:shop.co.uk/product/ANTEC-EARTHWATTS-650W-ATX12V-v2.2-A/PFC-RET_21548.html
or this one
click here

lots of stuff on PC -help

sanap

gengiscant 09:46 08 Apr 10

Have a look here.
click here

SANAP 10:17 08 Apr 10

thank you, that will do nicely, its the fan that has gone on the PSU and apparently that is tricky to replace. Spotted how to get that power on motherboard off now as well. its a bit cramped in case.

any ideas on the psu's i posted? easy to fit/best etc

sanap

SANAP 10:24 08 Apr 10

OOPS fan has come back on!! have to wait and see what happens now!1

sanap

Technotiger 10:59 08 Apr 10

Replacing the PSU will not harm/effect any of the 'stuff' on your PC.

If the fan is working again, perhaps the PC just needs a good clean-out to get rid of all dust/fluff, especially around all fans and air vents/grills.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:08 08 Apr 10

If renewing a PSU check:

1. The physical size of your PSU, some are hard to replace due to being a non standard size.
2. The amount of power need from the PSU don't skimp.
3 The correct connections for your equipment

1. Physical Dimensions

Besides the specs and form factors, the physical dimensions are also important factors in selecting a compatible power supply. Here is an outline of the physical dimensions of most standard power supplies:

# ATX: 6x3.5x5.5", HxWxD. Most common. Uses 4 mounting screws.
# Mini-ATX: 5x3.5x5", HxWxD. Rare size. Uses 4 mounting screws. Can be used in a regular ATX case, but often not the other way around.
# MicroATX: 5x3x4", HxWxD. Use 3 mounting screws. Not interchangeable with ATX or miniATX.
# Flex ATX: Even smaller than Micro ATX. Various sizes according to case specs; often not interchangeable.

Use the data above to determine if a particular power supply would fit your case.

The quality of a power supply can be estimated by its weight. While this is not a true scientific or thorough measurement of the power supply reliability, it is nevertheless a very simple and easy way for ordinary PC users to estimate and compare the quality of a power supply. Why weight matters click here

2. Power supply calculator click here

3. Correct connections
Some boards have 20 pin connectors others 24 pin
There is often a 4 pin plug required to power Intel CPUs
Molex D plugs for IDE HDD and CD/DVD drives
SATA power connections for latest HDDs and DVD drives.

Guide to changing PSU
click here
click here

SANAP 11:22 08 Apr 10

snap, I am just going through the process of blowing as much dust away as I can find. Its stayed on for about an hour now. I have the case cover off and I have plugged the video card into a different power socket. Its an ATI HD4850 and that requires quite a bit of power but PC has been ok since last november when I fitted new vidoe card. I am running cc cleaner and disk clean up etc as well. I do use a LINDY KVM switch so not sure if switching between PC's may cause a problem.

I must admit I am lost now as I am running out of causes!! Thanks for all the great replies.

sanap

PS as an aside I get IE8 shutting down occasionally , OE slow in opening sometimes, slow boot up but once up and running seems fine.

Sea Urchin 11:30 08 Apr 10

The four diagnostic lights on the front panel should give you a good idea as to what the problem is

click here

SANAP 16:08 08 Apr 10

i have re-booted a few times and lights flash but when on they all disapper! I dont know if they are supposed to stay on. going to re-install a few cards and memory now! my speakers are not working correctly eith. the sound card is a creative audigy se or such

sanap

Sea Urchin 17:00 08 Apr 10

According to the diagnostic lights if all are off then either the computer is off, or a possible pre-BIOS failure has occurred (first on the list).

lotvic 20:57 08 Apr 10

They should all go off after the OS starts
"The diagnostic lights are not lit after the system successfully boots to the operating system."

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How Nearly Normal created super-fun papercraft for Google

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos