How to replace heatsink on slot 1 P3 processor

Mr Tibbs 21:50 10 May 06

Hi Folks, I have just bought a 733MHz slot 1 P3 processor on ebay but it doesn't have a heatsink and fan. Does anyone know how to take the heatsink and fan off my existing slot 1 processor so I can put it on the new one. I don't want to force it in case I break something and it doesn't appear obvious to me how to do it. Thanks for any help.

Gongoozler 09:42 11 May 06

I've never tried it, but I found this here click here

1. Remove the OEM heatsink on the processor. You may have to cut off the plastic pins which are holding the OEM heatsink.

2. Use a hairdryer to blow warm air to the heatsink so to soften the compound under the heatsink. You then can easily twist to separate the sink off the processor.

3. Clean up the compound left on the processor, using any common solvent. (Rubbing alcohol, isopropyl alcohol, should be just fine).

Gongoozler 09:44 11 May 06

Sorry, I just read the second part of your posting. I think it's very lokely that you'll have to buy a new heatsink e.g. click here

Stuartli 12:05 11 May 06

IIRC you should be able to take it off by unscrewing the screws holding it on to the CPU - haven't got one to hand now.

Mr Tibbs 13:38 11 May 06

Thanks. I'm not sure I want to buy a new heatsink and fan but it is a possibility. The two casings are held together by plastic pins and I can't find a way to release them so that I can seperate them.

Gongoozler 15:15 11 May 06

Does this help? click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…