How to replace DVD/R IDE with SATA DVD/R

night 11:16 AM 15 Dec 12

I had a Parallel ATA IDE DVDR, which is now broken and I was wondering how complicated it would be to replace it with a SATA. What cables would I need and how easy it to do I am fairly experienced in these things and fitted the DVR which is now faulty.

rdave13 11:27 AM 15 Dec 12

Check if your motherboard has a Sata socket free. You will need a Sata cable, something like these, I prefer the "latching" type. If you only have an IDE socket available then you could use a IDE / SATA Converter , something like this.

xox101 11:29 AM 15 Dec 12

Provided your motherboard has a spare SATA socket and the power supply a spare SATA power plug it would be as simple as swapping out the old one and fitting the new. Depending on where you buy the drive and the make it may come with the necessary cables or you may have to buy these separately.

night 14:41 PM 15 Dec 12

Brilliant replies rdave 13 and xox 101, you have saved the day many thanks for your know how the problem solved and will proceed with ordering required parts Happy Christmas to you both.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Rugby World Cup 2015 online: Watch live, catch up on-demand & stream the 2015 Rugby…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

See immersive artist and storyteller Chris Milk speak at London VR event

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…