How to repair XP

s99Raj 11:16 12 Aug 03

I have XP Home edition on my PC but it comes up with corrupt files in

Is there an easy way round this?
I've tried the Repair option but after pressing "r" and choosing the option that I wish to repair drive C, the PC just sits there with the prompt

If I try to install XP Pro (instead of Home) will I lose the info off the hard disk?
Basically I'd like to keep all the info that's in "My Documents" folder.

JoeC 11:31 12 Aug 03

Repair XP:
Configure your computer to start from the CD-ROM drive.
Insert WinXP CD, restart computer.
When the Press any key to boot from CD message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows XP CD.
Press ENTER when you see the message To setup Windows XP now, and then press ENTER displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen. Do not choose the option to press R to use the Recovery Console at this time.
In the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, press F8 to agree to the license agreement. Make sure that your current installation of Windows XP is selected in the box, and then press R to repair Windows XP.
Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE
Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate

click here or click here

s99Raj 11:59 12 Aug 03

I tried going to

but at step 1 got the message "this file could not be copied"

JoeC 12:09 12 Aug 03

highlighting the text with your mouse then selecting copy. Paste it into Notepad - it works 'cos I just did it !!

s99Raj 12:42 12 Aug 03

I copied ti too but still get the same message that the file could not be copied.
Maybe it's truly corrupted or just not there.

Lozzy 12:54 12 Aug 03

You could try this:

Start>>Run then type sfc /scannow (note the space between the C and /) this will replace any missing or coruupted files.

Lozzy 13:00 12 Aug 03

Sorry for got to add,, Insert the win xp cd first

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…