How to remove an unwanted partition

Newbolt 16:32 21 Oct 04

Running Windows XP on an 80gb disk. Due to a problem about a year ago [and pre-XP] the disk was formatted by the original PC supplier and came back to me with a partition [20gb] which is not needed or wanted. Any ideas to get rid of it please?

Diemmess 16:36 21 Oct 04

Safest way is to use Partition Magic. It is not free but it is reliable.

Diemmess 16:38 21 Oct 04

Second thoughts:.........Why be rid of it? If you can access all the space there, it will be fine to store all sorts of precious files.

Newbolt 16:44 21 Oct 04

Thanks - yes, I can access the space and I am not short of space on the bigger partition - just thought the whole thing might run quicker with a larger disk space?

xania 16:49 21 Oct 04

Au contrare, my friend. That larger hard disk will be slower than splitting it into separate partitions. Also, if anything goes wrong with WIndows and you need to reinstall it, or speed it up or anything else, you have one massive partition to cope with. Frankly, I prefer a smaller primary drive (say 2Gb) for my OS and hardware drivers, perhaps a similarly sized second for a second OS, then separate virtual drives for Data, Programs, Multimedia and so on. Much easier to manage and to back-up.

Newbolt 01:35 22 Oct 04

Thanks for the advice - work intervened -I will leave things as they are!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…