how to remove a scratch?

Why wont it work 18:46 29 Jan 07

I unfortunately dropped a fountain pen onto my brand new laptop (asus a6). It's left a really nasty long scratch, which is visible in all light from any angle... It doesn't look too deep though. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get rid of it, or any 'scratch remover' or alike. I know it only seems like a small thing, but it's really irritating as I know its there, and I can always see it.

Thanks in advance.

Jackcoms 18:48 29 Jan 07

Left a really nasty long scratch where?

The case?

The screen?

Why wont it work 18:52 29 Jan 07

oh right, sorry, right next to the touch pad, its about 4" long (fountain pen was knocked off a high shelf)- so it's really quite noticable, and a bit of a shame!

driving man 18:54 29 Jan 07

Assuming its the body of the machine and is important to you, look in yellow pages for a car "dents away" or scratch hider company who will completely repair it and paint to match.
Chris

Diemmess 18:59 29 Jan 07

Assuming the scratch is on the case?
I would avoid any attempt to fill or reduce the area at all.

Presumably an injection moulded plastic component and in my experience the surface texture or even the colour will be adversely affected.

You may be rid of the scratch but will subsitute a smear which will cover a larger area than before.

You could try a car touch up paint, but if you can't hide it with a label, then live with it.

I still remember a friend of 40 years ago who tried to clean his small portable reel to reel tape recorder with petrol!

sean-278262 19:07 29 Jan 07

If it really is a shallow one toothpaste in water works well to hide them 1 part toothpaste (standard cheap stuff) to 5 parts water mixed together rub on with one piece of tissue then off immediately with another. Worked on my evesham laptop about 2 years ago. I dont guarantee it will work on your one or if it will mess it up.

SB23 19:20 29 Jan 07

Use at your own risk, but I've used Brasso on plastic casings before, and it hides the marks quite well, although a point to be aware of, it may fade the area slightly. On glass fronted watches its superb.

Technotiger 19:24 29 Jan 07

Hi, I would go with SB23 on this one - Brasso is a mild abrasive, so used sparingly may well do the trick.

Technotiger 19:27 29 Jan 07

PS - I should have added, I have used Brasso to hide/remove slight scratches on record players, radios and the like, quite effective.

SB23 19:32 29 Jan 07

It will also revive old scratched cd's, but always use sparingly.

Technotiger 19:38 29 Jan 07

Hmmm, not tried it on CDs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac