How to remove optical drive TINY computer?

1832bchs 14:23 13 May 06

Is there any TINY computer owner out there who can help?
I want to install a new DVD writer in my 18 month old Tiny machine. However I cannot for the life of me fathom out how to get the old one out of the machine.
I can only remove one side panel, and then the drive in question is in a cage along with the DVD Rom drive and a Musketeer Coolermaster.
They are all screwed in and have some sort of black plastic contraption down the side of all the drives.
As I can only remove one side panel (the other one is in one piece along with the top of the casing and has NO screws to remove) I am at a loss as to how I get at the far side of the drive to unscrew it.
I can use the new drive as an external but would prefer not to. Also, how would I replace the hard drives if they failed?
Any suggestions gratefully received.

rodriguez 14:35 13 May 06

I opened a Tiny computer up at work and they are almost impsossible to work with. Compaq are just as bad as well. They have deliberatly made it difficult to replace parts because they want you to send the computer in to them so they can charge you for the work. There should be a way of getting the drives out though. Try pulling the front panel off the case and see if there's any screws or releases for the drives. That black plastic contraption is either holding the drives in place or is covering the screws that mount them so try and prise it off or slide it off and you should be able to release the drives. If you can only remove one side panel then the cage that the drives are in should come out to allow you to get to both sides of the drives. Again there could be a couple of screws or a catch under the front panel that releases it.

woodchip 14:52 13 May 06

It will be fixed from the one side, there may be some lugs on the other side so when you have removed any screws take care and try to work the drive out, NOT RIVE it out

1832bchs 14:55 13 May 06

Thanks for the advice. As you say, there has to be a way!!
I've had a look under the front panel and can't see anything. If I can work out how to get the black plastic thingy off I might get somewhere. Will take it apart once more and have another go.

woodchip 15:00 13 May 06

The front Panel should just pry off, but take care not to break anything

Totally-braindead 15:12 13 May 06

The front panel may just pry off as woodchip has suggested or they may be a lever or catch underneath the front panel that you can pull to help it come off, the cdrom black plastic catch you mention will probably, if you pull it towards you release plastic pins to get it out at least thats the way it was in an old Dell I had apart last year. Its differcult to say without seeing it and even then its usually a case of trial and error in my case anyway.

1832bchs 16:19 13 May 06

Thanks to all....Sorted!!!!
After prising off the plastic thing it still didn't want to come out but slid a thin flat screwdriver between drive and drive bay and that released it.
All working ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…