how to remove norton from my computer

dotty44 21:54 12 Jan 08

i am a pensioner and a beginner with computers , i had norton already on my computer when i got it , and the 90 days free has expired , i want to get it off my computer as i now have AVG installed ,
i have uninstalled it from the programs but cant get rid of the icon on my desktop and a reminder keeps coming up that i am out of date with norton but doesn't give me the opportunity to cancel it , please can you help me to completely uninstall it from my computer

Clapton is God 21:58 12 Jan 08
  dotty44 22:03 12 Jan 08

thanks, however im not sure which norton i have, how do i find out? my computer is 6 months old.

Norton 360
Norton 2008 product
Norton 2007 product
Norton 2006 product
Norton 2005 or 2004 product
Norton 2003 product
Norton Ghost or Norton Save & Restore

Clapton is God 22:09 12 Jan 08

It's irrelevant.

As the website says "it uninstalls ALL Norton products".

dotty44 22:33 12 Jan 08

thanks Clapton i have managed to uninstall with your help

David4637 14:57 14 Jan 08

Just to confirm I removed Norton using the uninstall prog.
Ideally you should also remove the registry items for "norton" and then "symantec". Do a find and delete any found item - I must have found a dozen items for each of these 2 strings. It all worked OK with NO nasties coming up on a re boot. If necessary do an ACRONIS backup before doing the above, although I did not in this case. David

Pineman100 18:21 17 Jan 08

I'm sure your advice is excellent, but I'm a bit worried about advocating registry edits on the Absolute Beginners forum.

David4637 13:44 21 Jan 08

If you read my thread you would have seen "Acronis". Then if you mess your registry, you restore your OS with it. Alternatively you don't edit the registry. You only learn by making mistakes in this life - sometimes you have to take a calculated risk, thats how I found out about Acronis - its the life saver. David

northerngirl 12:25 23 Jan 08

Hi. I am wanting to install Firefox but a message tells me that my security settings will not allow it. Any help gratefully received.

p;3 20:20 24 Jan 08

one might wish to add that it is very unwise to suggest editing the Registry unless you know exactly what you are doing ; in my opinion you do not take ' calculated risks' especially with the Registry ; you could wipe out your OS and render your computer inoperative and unbootable

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…