How to remove multiple O/S?

Lee-262377 12:53 25 Oct 05

HI, I recently had lots of trouble with xfer of files/settings from old HDD to new (which was problematic in itself due to my XP not recognising a 160gig drive).
Anyway, now I have two options on boot up of win XP or Win XP, can anybody tell me how I remove the second installation, and more to the point how I can differentiate between the one I want and the one I dont?

phil46 13:14 25 Oct 05

You sound as if you have replaced WXP over WXP and created two partitions i tried to resolve this problem with FDISK and it did show two partitions i deleted one of the partitions but i could never recover that partition on the drive
so ended up doing a clean install.

splork 13:34 25 Oct 05

Get a command prompt up in Windows, the path that appears before the > is the installation you are currently using, make a note of it. Then find your Boot.ini file at the root of the C:\ drive (you may need to uncheck Hide Protected OPerating System Files in Control Panel/Folder Options) and paste the text here.

Lee-262377 16:14 21 Nov 05

Hi, Phil 46 I have checked and there is definitely only one partition so I am loath to remove it again but thanks for the heads up.
Splork, the command prompt always brings me up the C:\My documents folder and even performing a full search which everything checked and unchecked does not reveal where my boot.ini file is hiding.
I have decided that the extra few seconds it takes me to load up is worth it until I need to reload my system again anyway. Many thanks for your help.

keith-236785 17:25 21 Nov 05

for reference, you needed to run

fdisk /mbr (note the space) obviously on the C: drive, so if you are booting from a startup floppy, change to the C: drive by typing

then type

fdisk /mbr

from a dos prompt to rewrite the matser boot record, that should sort out the double entry and rewrite the master boot record (mbr).

hope that makes sense

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…