How to remove Linux ?

Indigo 1 11:29 27 Mar 04

My friend has asked me to set up her new PC with WXP pro, the problem is, the PC came with Linux Mandrake pre-installed.

I cannot find the option to format the HDD, I cannot/don't want to install XP over Linux.

The only way I know how is to remove the HDD and put it into my own PC and format it from there I am afraid of coming across the usual pitfalls like "NTLDR is missing" and other spurious time consuming errors, is there a better way ?

Would it be better to Network them both and try to format that way or is that just another can of worms ?

phoenix198 11:36 27 Mar 04

I might be missing something here, but surely if you boot the PC from the WinXP CD you can navigate to the option to delete the Linux partition(s), then its just a case of adding one or more partitions, formatting as NTFS or FAT 32 and installing XP.

Indigo 1 11:41 27 Mar 04

I tried to boot from the Windows cd but no luck.

There is no floppy drive to boot from either.

phoenix198 15:01 27 Mar 04

Are you able to get into the BIOS to change the boot order to have the PC booting from the CD ROM first?

Indigo 1 17:36 27 Mar 04

Yes have changed it to boot from cd rom first.

Indigo 1 17:37 27 Mar 04

Strange thing is, it was set to boot from floppy first even though no floppy drive is installed.

powerless 17:40 27 Mar 04

You are pressing ANY key to boot from the CD right?

Indigo 1 18:11 27 Mar 04

I don't have an "ANY key" ;o)

I don't want to install WXP over Linux, I want to delete Linux and start with a clean install.

phoenix198 22:42 27 Mar 04

But that's how you delete linux (assuming you can boot from the CD) - start the WXP installation by booting from the CD but take the option to delete the Linux partition(s), then create one or more partitions which are formatted to NTFS/FAT32 later in the process.

JerryJay 22:52 27 Mar 04

If you can boot up from CD-rom (get into bios to set it up boot from cd first), the get a Ultimate Boot CD click here and boot the machine from this CD. On this CD, there are a lot of untility programs, one of them is kill disk. You can use it to wipe everything from HDD. You can wipe many times until noone can recover anything from HDD.

fitcher 14:16 28 Mar 04

this problem can occur and linux will sometimes leave a grub boot record ..if you had a winn 2000 disk it would convert the file system for you and format ..I take it you have used fdisk to remove the none doss partions and .. activated the drive .and formated .I would simply pop a floppy drive in .and use a 98 floppy set up .to do that ,,

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…