How to remove driver from win xp

woody 18:20 17 Nov 03

I need to remove a driver left over from a prog which was removed.
The driver will not delete by highlite then del.
Also tried right click.
How can i remove it?

Jester2K II 18:24 17 Nov 03

Driver for a program??

What are you removing? What is left behind?

What error messages are you getting??

woody 02:04 18 Nov 03

The driver is left after i removed/deleted "easy CD".

When i start win xp i get a "balloon" bottom right of screen which states the driver may cause a conflict .It goes on to say click for more details. I click but nothing happens.

I think i have found the faulty driver but can not remove it.

Apart from the balloon warning all works well.

woody 02:08 18 Nov 03

It is in the driver folder - but details show it as a system file - if that helps.

Jester2K II 07:30 18 Nov 03

What is the file?

What happens when you try to delete it? Messages??

Stuartli 09:14 18 Nov 03

Sounds more like a dll.

woody 11:12 18 Nov 03

To recap.
This is a new comp with win xp and a dvd/cd writer.

It has some complex software for video/music/etc.
It does not have a simple program where i can load one or two files ,to disk and then delete any one file.I can load one or 100 but then have to delete them all if i need to delete one.

All worked fine (as far as i could tell in a short time).

I then loaded easy cd - a program i have used for some time with Win2K - which does allow selective delete -not compatible with xp some i (tried) removed it with uninstall.

Then when i restart the comp i got the "balloon" bottom right of screen stating a "driver" was in conflict and it had been disabled.Apart from the "balloon" all is working well.

I did a search and found a num of files left behind by easy and removed most of them but still get the "balloon".

I think when MS disables the file it is "using" it so i can not work on it - but i do not know that for sure.

The file name is "adptsf50.sys" .

When i highlight and then go to delete - the delete is in gray and does not work.I have also tried pressing del key - nothing happens.

Thanks for the replies up to now.

alcudia 11:21 18 Nov 03

I assume you mean Roxio Easy CD Creator. If so anything prior to version 6 will not work with XP. Even though there is a patch for V5. It still doesn't work. Or didn't for me.

If this is the program you are meaning go to Roxio.co.uk and find a utility called RoxyZap. This will remove all traces of Easy CD v5.

So they say.

woody 11:33 18 Nov 03

"If so anything prior to version 6 will not work with XP. "

Found that out the hard way!!

Went to site could not find roxyzap.
Tried a search still no joy.
Also tried to find roxiozap - just in case.

Still hopeful

alcudia 11:43 18 Nov 03

I have a copy here. If you e-mail me I will return it as an attachment. It's a very small file.

alcudia 11:59 18 Nov 03

Just had another thought, have you tried removing this file in safe mode. It probably won't load in there, and you may be able to remove it.

Roxyzap does seem to work though. It was only yesterday that I uninstalled v5 after finding out the same way you did. I then ran 'zap and do not have any problems. I'm just going out to buy v6. That does work ok because I use it at home. Bloatware though. 850mb install.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…