How reliable is windows XP Firewall?

scooby43 12:20 14 Apr 03

hi all

I have been currently using Windows XP Firewall but I am really wondering how reliable is it because I have had norton but it has been giving me problems at times and I want a good firewall

free if possable:)

cheers

HawkeyePierce 12:25 14 Apr 03

XP Firewall is OK at stopping incoming connections but next to useless at outgoing.

Best free one around is ZoneAlarm available from click here

You'll get a lot of reccommends for it in here. (Also AVG antivirus too if you're looking for a free antivirus prog from click here)

Terrahawk 12:30 14 Apr 03

xp fire wall is basic but it does work if you want a good third party firewall free
click here

Taran 12:32 14 Apr 03

XP firewall is fine in general, but you have to keep in mind that its protection is one way.

Most software firewall (ZoneAlarm, Kerio, Outpost et al) protect your computer by monitoring traffic in both directions; they keep tabs on what is going out as well as what is coming in.

So if a program requests access to the web, you have to manually set permissions for it to be able to call out under third party firewalls. While the WinXP firewall stops the nasties getting in it does allow almost any program to send outgoing traffic by comparison.

scooby43 12:39 14 Apr 03

thanks for ur quick replys I use AVG Antivirus I havent ever used ZoneAlarm but I am willing to give it a try.

its a pity to be honest that windows XP firewall dosnt stop inbound too.

cheers

Wak 14:47 14 Apr 03

Sygate Personal Firewall from click here also works well with XP and AVG and is also FREE.

dth 15:02 14 Apr 03

I would go for the Outpost one - as I find that Zone Alarm and the Sygate one slow the shutting of Win XP.

scooby43 17:02 14 Apr 03

thanks for ur postings I am currently using zonealarm :)

scooby43 21:32 14 Apr 03

hi I have just been using zonealarm still but I have problem how do i set it up so it allows my other comp that is sharing the connection to work as I have to disable it or it wont let the other comp go on the net?

scooby43 21:33 14 Apr 03

sorry failed to mention the 2 comps are on a network

Taran 21:57 14 Apr 03

Add the network IP address or address range, or the MAC address of the network card(s) to the allowed permissions for your network.

Full instructions are in the Zonealarm help files and the interface is pretty intuitive if memory serves.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…