How reliable are Broadband Speed Tools!

spuds 13:26 04 Aug 05

Just changed from Tiscali 1Mb to 2Mb service, and found that my broadband service seems very much faster, but I have a query.

Using Adslguide click here Internetfrog click here Abeltronica click here for speedchecks, I still find that my speed readings are below the 1Mb stage.BT and Tiscali have both confirmed that I have the 2Mb connection. Who is right, the service providers or the speed checkes. Should add that I have done speed test at various times of the day and night, with very little differences being shown.

Klof Ron 13:33 04 Aug 05

I have Tiscali 2mb service and these are the results achieved at ADSL Guide

Downstream 1884 Kbps (235.5 KB/sec) 2034 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 243 Kbps (30.4 KB/sec) 262 Kbps (inc. overheads

If you are not getting these then I think you could have problem, it maybe a filter problem, or maybe a contention problem. Have you thought about re-installing the software for the modem, as it may need different drivers for the 2mb service.

spuds 13:40 04 Aug 05

Klof Ron-- I didn't consider the driver angle, due to Tiscali 'out of site, out of mind' upgrading procedure. Tiscal have yet to confirm the contention ratio question, to the service that they are providing.

€dstowe 13:42 04 Aug 05

Try this - it's a bit more helpful than ADSLguide

click here

spuds 14:18 04 Aug 05

€dstowe- Forgot to mention that one,did a google search and came up with a host of speed checkers, all seem to be as reliable as each other.

woodchip 14:26 04 Aug 05

They are just a rough guide, as Volume of traffic will affect the score

Ancient Learner 15:53 04 Aug 05

The tester suggested by €dstowe seems pretty impresive. It shows a much higher speed than McAfee does, 480 compared to 240. The 240 is constantly the same. Perhaps it is not correct, but who knows. Certainly,adslguide also constantly shows a higher speed as well, at 464. Being, by nature, a pessimist, I tend to believe the worst, perhaps I wrong!! My connection is supposed to be 512.

BigRik 16:48 04 Aug 05

Hi spuds.

Try this link and see what you think.

click here

4getfish 16:58 04 Aug 05

bookmark

woodchip 21:37 04 Aug 05

It shows a much higher speed than McAfee does,

Yes but it will not work any faster. Your Modem that is

spuds 23:07 04 Aug 05

BigRik-- Thanks for the link, that's not on my list, but it is now.

Just given it a try, and it roughly confirms the same results as all the other programmes that I have tried. The results come back at 985.40 Kbps, with the report that I have only a 48% efficiency on a 2Mbps service.I have completed test runs throughout the day,and it would seem as though my average highest point is around the above figure.

Looks like a technical support email to Tiscali.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…