How to reinstall OS from rescue disk

BillyBee 08:19 27 Oct 03

I have been asked to help a friend format his hard drive and reinstall his OS 98SE, at the moment we are only in contact by telephone, he tells me it is a 2 year old Time machine (he thinks?) with only 1 disk (a rescue disk) to reinstall everything.

My problem is although I know how to format and reinstall using the appropriate disks I have no knowledge of using a rescue disk, I know this is a bit vague at the moment and I am trying to get more information off him, but until I do could anyone point me in the right direction as to reinstalling his OS from a rescue disk.

My other problem is he would like to upgrade to XP, can this be done using an XP upgrade disk after I reinstall his 98SE, as with a clean install of XP I would not have the driver disks for his Mobo, graphics, modem etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

temp003 09:06 27 Oct 03

click here and click Time Support, and then under Technical Support, select Reload, and see which option your friend has.

If he has only a rescue floppy, it's Orange Recovery Disk version 3-5. If he has a floppy and a Reload CD, then it's Orange Recovery Disk version 6 and Reload CD. If he has only a CD, then it's Reload/Backup CD Only. Click on the link and read the procedure. Before restoring everything to factory settings, better detach any new hardware added by your friend first, such as printers.

On upgrade to XP, even if your friend has a Reload CD, it's not an upgrade qualifying CD, and so he can't format the hard disk first and install xp from scratch

He can certainly insert an XP upgrade CD in a working 98 and choose the upgrade route to install XP.

He may be able to install a new fresh copy of XP (instead of upgrade) by inserting the upgrade CD from within 98, and select the New installation (Advanced) mode, but I'm not sure about this.

Trouble with the combination of a Reload CD of an older OS and an XP upgrade CD is that in future, if you need to reinstall a fresh copy of XP, he will have to reload 98 from the Reload CD, and then install XP, which is a real pain.

BillyBee 09:23 27 Oct 03

Thank you for your quick responce,

keith-236785 13:16 27 Oct 03

before your friend goes to the trouble of buying and installing a windows xp upgrade, check if the motherboard drivers etc can be downloaded from either Time, or click here.

then he could do a new install of xp without all the dross of win98. He would also then have all the drivers required for any further upgrades.

just a though.

WaiKent 13:22 27 Oct 03

i think your friend might have a recovery disk which copies your windows OS to a partition and fromats the other half of the drive. it has a boot record on it so tell him or her to put the disk in restart pc and it will load up and then follow instructions etc. when it has formatted he can upgrade how they like.

WaiKent 13:24 27 Oct 03

with an upgrade disk it wouldnt erase his drivers i dont think. its just the windows files.

BillyBee 14:02 27 Oct 03

Thank you for your responses Unfortunately at this time I am unable to get any information regarding this computer, it turns out that this machine belongs to a workmate of my friend, (it?s beginning to look like one of those, numerous virus from dubious sites problems) I am thinking of walking away from this one, anyway I am unable to respond until I can get in touch with the owner.

Thank you anyway for your responses, I will report back as and when.

woodchip 16:03 27 Oct 03

Just reboot with the CD in

BillyBee 21:40 27 Oct 03

if it numerous virus, as i suspect, will this remove them?

keith-236785 21:44 27 Oct 03

walk away mate, you will get no thanks from a friend of a friend. all credit will go to your mate, (yes this is from experience before anyone asks).

just offer to sort it out for £50, that should put them off. if not you at least will know they are serious about getting it sorted (you dont actually have to charge them, but it would make them think twice about coming back when they next screw something up and expect you to fix it)

time and effort is free for friends but with me any further and it starts to cost at least a couple of pints.

woodchip 21:48 27 Oct 03

Yes it should do, as it reformats the drive and reloads as when he got the comp. Only new hardware and software will be missing. It will not clear any virus in the MBR master boot record, to do that you need to start comp with a Win98 startup disc and type FDISK/MBR then run the CD to put things back

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…