how to reinstall dial-up netwworker?

Camille 12:53 11 Mar 03

Since I followed Tiscali's instructions on how to uninstall their app TKonnect, I am unable to connect to the internet. I get the message that dial-up networker is unavailable and to reboot - if problem persists to reinstall dialup networker.

Only problem is... I don't know how to do this. (pls tell me I don't have to reinstall whole of windows!!!)

My o/s is W98.

All advice gratefully received

Gman 13:07 11 Mar 03

Go to run and type SFC. This program will check your system for missing and damaged files and prompt you to re install them. You will need your copy of Windows 98 CD .

bof:) 13:14 11 Mar 03

Hi Camille,

to reinstall dial up networker I think this is the correct route to follow:

Insert your windows 98 cd rom into your cd rom drive.

when the page to start win 98 comes onto the screen...click on add/remove software
then,

click on 'windows setup'.

Click on communications and dial up networking is in there. Make sure there is a tick by it and click ok.

reboot your PC

mike

Camille 13:20 11 Mar 03

I'll follow your advice when I get home this evening - thanks for the advice

Camille 09:53 12 Mar 03

ok - followed your suggestions and can now connect to the internet BUT browser will not actually display any pages. Have repaired IE, to no avail

Any suggestions (bar phoning the premium helpline)????

bof:) 15:21 12 Mar 03

refresh

bof:) 19:58 12 Mar 03

Hi Camille,

what exactly is happening when you try to use IE6?

Are you getting any messages saying why you cannot get to a webpage?

Do you get the same message for all websites you've tried to get on to?

If you want to try deleting IE6 and reinstalling it again, you can get a copy of IE6 on the cover disks of most PC mags.

woodchip 20:11 12 Mar 03

Double click on My Computer, Double click on Dial-up Networking, right click on your ISP then choose properties copy the details of your ISP ie. Telephone number and what you call the connection if ntl or other. after you have all details right click your ISP and delete it. Then double click the make new connection wizard and follow instructions for name put your ISP you may have to put a 2 after it as it will say that it already exists in other words it's in the registry but just follow what I have said above to recreate your Dial-Up

Camille 12:20 13 Mar 03

I've been able to make a connection - but get the standard 'page cannot be displayed' page no matter which site I try.

I will follow your instructions as soon as I get home tonight, thanks :)

Camille 12:22 13 Mar 03

I've been able to make a connection - but get the standard 'page cannot be displayed' page no matter which site I try.

I will follow your instructions as soon as I get home tonight, thanks :)

woodchip 15:47 13 Mar 03

Go to Add/Remove Programs in control panel double click on Microsoft Internet Explorer and choose repair. If this does not work you will need to remove IE entirely with 98lite45.exe I can send it it's only 319Kb files size. You would then have to reinstall IE from a Magazine CD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…