How to refuse MS updates?

Pineman100 10:49 21 Dec 10

Whenever I switch on my Windows 7 laptop, I get a system tray flag that tells me an update is waiting to be installed. I click on it, and it tells me that the "important" update, Windows Live Essentials, needs to be installed.

I have rejected this update for several days in a row, by unticking the checkbox (I *don't want* WLE!). But every day it's back again.

How do you refuse an update permanently, once and for all, so that it doesn't keep trying to get you to install it?

Many thanks for any advice.

rdave13 10:54 21 Dec 10

Try right clicking the update and select 'hide update' in the dropdown menu.

northumbria61 10:59 21 Dec 10

HIDE IT.
"How to "Hide and Restore" Windows Updates - click here

Graphicool1 11:01 21 Dec 10

This is the way it works on WinXP I guess the proceedure is much the same in Win7.
Click...
>Start<
>Help & Support<
>Windows Update<
Click on either...
'Express or custom'
So that it does a System search for what your system 'needs'? Then tell it to 'Hide' what you don't want it to remind you about. It won't mention it again. But if sometime in the future you happen to change your mind, you just go back and manually unlock it.

Pineman100 11:10 21 Dec 10

Thank you all very much. Much appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…