how to reformat a netbook

pete h 20:28 20 Mar 11

hya people. been a while since i have been on. could someone please advise me on the procedure for reformatting a netbook laptop. As you are aware, they dont come with a cd drive.

pete

octal 21:12 20 Mar 11

You can probably use one of the Linux distributions by loading onto a USB flash drive. What operating system do you want to load back onto it? Linux Ubuntu is really easy to install onto a netbook with a USB drive click here , you can also load Windows on but I believe it is a bit more complicated, I have never tried it.

Strawballs 21:45 20 Mar 11

They usually have recovery partition on hard drive accessed via F8 during boot up and then the last one on list. that will let you restore factory settings.

woodchip 22:13 20 Mar 11

You should buy a External DVD drive then you can use the supplied restore CD. You are still going to need a Drive to install a new OS if you load one be it windows or linux

woodchip 22:15 20 Mar 11

My Samsung nc10 Netbook came with a Restore CD and driver CD

Strawballs 22:19 20 Mar 11

My sons Advent netbook has the partition

octal 05:50 21 Mar 11
  Batch 17:26 21 Mar 11

I resinstalled Windows XP onto a netbook from a USB pen drive.

It entailed:

- Copying XP SP2 disc contents to a folder (on another PC).

- Locating, downloading and inserting 2 sets of suitable SATA drivers into the XP folders created above (using special software to do the insert). I believe XP SP3, Vista and Win7 come with SATA drivers and so this step isn't necessary with them. Also, if I'd switched the hard drive mode to legacy/IDE mode (rather than SATA) in the BIOS I might have obviated the need for SATA drivers (but get slower disk xfers).

- Using further special software to create a bootable USB pen drive containing the XP build created above. Note the pen drive needed to be large enough to hold the build (say 1GB), but not greater than 2GB.

- Installing XP from the afore-mentioned USB pen-drive. Resolving a few partition / disk reference issues in BOOT.INI along the way - mostly caused by me leaving the original recovery partition in situ on the HDD (as the first partition) which confused matters and the fact that the USB pen drive was seen as disk 1 during the install and so the real HDD was treated as disk 2 (and so once trying to boot XP from the HDD proper it was then disk 1, but BOOT.INI had been created saying that Windows was installed on disk 2) - so I had to enter recovery mode and manually edit BOOT.INI.

All in a lengthy exercise - do you still want to do it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:11 21 Mar 11

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…